Sullivan Cemetery first consisted of 1.7 acres and was purchased from David E. and Georgiana Heckendorn on August 8, 1903. The land was first claimed by James Sullivan in 1886. Therefore it was named Sullivan Cemetery.
The first spaces were disposed of by sale or barter.
Several people who had died earlier and were buried near their homes or at the Frisbee Plot next to the later day Winthrop School were transferred to the Sullivan Cemetery. Page 234 & 653 Methow Valley Pioneers.
In March of 1980 the Sullivan Cemetery was deeded to Okanogan Country Cemetery District #1. An agreement to manage and maintain the cemetery was made with Sullivan Cemetery Association in May of 1980.